Each year we like to gather an eclectic group of friends and business associates for a holiday lunch. No, it's not just techies. Media, sports, non-profits, business, cultural - they were all represented.
The food and atmosphere at Bo Loong at 40th and St. Clair is always terrific. And Margaret Wong generously gave each of the attendees a copy of her new book, The Immigrant's Way.
Many of the 60+ attendees are involved in one or more of the projects that we are involved in such as:
- Computers Assisting People (CAP) Inc. which has refurbished and donated over 15,000 PCs to 400 schools and non-profits in Cleveland.
- Magnum Computers Inc. where we try and earn some $ so we can volunteer more for CAP. (grin)
- ClevelandSeniors.com for the 50 and over crowd and those who care for and about them.
- ClevelandWomen.Com for girls and women of all ages in Cleveland and Northeast Ohio
- ClevelandPeople.com where we celebrate the 100+ ethnic groups in the area and make it a more attractive destination for immigrant talent. We believe that growth in Cleveland will not come from a mass shift of population from the suburbs to the city but from an influx of talented immigrants. Studies show that such immigrants are extremely likely to start businesses and hire people. And no one is more passionate than someone who has ethnic pride.
- And GreatLakesGeek.com. The business, science and technology information on GreatLakesGeek.com is becoming more essential as many of our longtime favorite print publications have disappeared or cut back.
As attendees introduced themselves, we were impressed by the positive outlook that they expressed. And how seemingly unconnected people discovered a thread that connected them to someone else in the room.
Enjoy these photos of some of the 2009 guests.
Dan Hanson, BioEnterprise CEO Baiju Shah
and Cleveland Brown's legend Don Cockroft
Don Cockroft was, of course, the great kicker and punter for the Cleveland Browns. #12 is currently finishing a book on the amazing Kardiac Kids team. Find out more about the book, including a limited edition copy signed by 30 of the team members at TheKardiacKids.Com.
Danielle Cherry and Curtis Danburg from the Cleveland Indians
The Browns and Indians were represented but unfortunately, Cavs legend Bingo Smith's ride fell through and he was unable to attend. Bingo has been recovering from a serious illness but is recovering quickly and says 'hi' to his friends and fans.
BrandMuscle CEO Phil Alexander, Practical Web Strategies President and CSU Prof Jim Dorazio,
CEO Bill Bradfield and VP Russ Seiter of PerceptIS
South Euclid Mayor Georgine Welo and Drew Grdina of Crestwood Management
John Lane of the Winking Lizard with
Plain Dealer reporter Shaheen Samavati
Joyce Mariani and Gino Colage from the
Italian Cultural Garden Federation
Cleveland Clinic Innovations Director Chris Coburn
Former Manco CEO Jack Kahl and award winning broadcaster and community leader Gerry Quinn
John Lewis, immigration attorney (and author!) Margaret W. Wong, environmental attorney Lou McMahon and Darcy Downie, Director at Prevent Blindness Ohio
'Captive Nations' leader Irene Morrow and Ellis Island Medal of Honor awardee August Pust
ClevelandWomen.Com's Debbie Hanson and author Les Roberts
Ohio Magazine Publisher Richard Osborne and award-winning photographer Tim Ryan
Cleveland Jewish News columnist Vi Spevack (right) and friend
State Senator Tom Patton and Project Manager Pat Hanson
Sheila Murphy Crawford of Murphy Irish Dance and
the Irish Cultural Garden
Serial Entrepreneur Ron Copfer
Steve Owendoff of Hahn-Loeser, Bob Leon of Colortone Staging & Rentals, Gordon Priemer of Heartland Developers and Asim Datta of Point to Point Travel
Plain Dealer reporter (and author) Marcia Pledger
Dan McMullen of Calfee Halter, Baiju Shah of BioEnterprise and Brad Nellis of NEOSA
(Clockwise from upper left)TV Videographer Ralph Tarsitano, Investigative Reporter Paul Sciria, Italian Film Festival's Joyce Mariani and Wizard of Oz guru Basha
Former TV anchor and current communications professional
Sandy Lesko Mounts
George Brown of Senator George Voinovich's office and Heidi Hooper of Boundless Flight
Chris Thompson of the Fund for Our Economic Future
'Tech Czar' Michael DeAloia of LNE Group
CPA Gary Lombardo of the Ingles Office
Maltz Museum Director Judi Fenniger
Kim Kirkendall, president of the China Resource Network
Aaron Woldman (seated) and Brian Livaich of Vision Net
Linde Decarlo and Leader Dog for the Blind (in training) Bradley
Gerry Quinn and Mark Geyman of OhioBiz
CAP Volunteer Dan Davenport
Kristina Kratzer of LNE Group
Harry Weller, driving force behind the Cleveland International Welcoming Center
Meteorologist and Executive Director at Cleveland ALS Association Brad Sussman with Kardiac Kid Don Cockroft
Kim Kitchen of Boundless Flight
Regrettably, a few guests (Aztek's Kevin Latchford and others) were called to business before photos were taken but we enjoyed their company while they were there.
See more pictures from the 2009 Holiday Gathering
Happy Holidays and have a Terrific 2010
Top of Page
Back to Geek Events